Welcome to the Year 6 Web Page
Welcome to the Autumn Term in Year Six, and your final year at Carnarvon Primary School.
The children will spend the first full week of term engaged in assessment activities in reading, maths, spelling, punctuation and grammar in order to establish a baseline from which to work on and enable teachers to organise appropriate target sets.
We then have a rich and varied programme of learning to look forward to, including the following:
- Our new topic for the autumn term, 'Maafa' is History based and will involve the children exploring the impact around the world of the transatlantic slave trade. Some of our English work will be related to this, linked to the novel 'Freedom' by Catherine Johnson.
- Our Science topic, 'The Circulatory System' teaches children about the transport role of the human circulatory system, its main parts and primary functions.
- In Maths, we will be following the White Rose curriculum which you can access in more detail below.
- Our PSHE topic for this term, 'One World', focuses on our role as global citizens; exploring our responsibilities for looking after and respecting the environment in which we live.
- In PE, the children will be learning invasion games.
- Our RE curriculum is exploring the religion of Judaism which will involve a school visit to a synagogue later in September.
- Our Art topic, 'Tints, Tones and Shades' teaches children about colour theory by exploring the colour wheel. They will learn about significant landscape artworks and create their own landscape paintings.