Welcome to the Year 2 Web Pages
Welcome to our Year 2 Web Pages. As ever, we're excited to be back in school and are looking forward to a very busy Autumn term ahead. Here is what we'll be learning about this term:
- Our main topic is 'Movers and Shakers'. This project teaches children about historically significant people who have had a major impact on the world. They will learn to use timelines, stories and historical sources to find out about the people featured and use historical models to explore their significance.
- Our English learning will see us building our vocabulary and sentence writing skills. We will be working on improving writing through 'Rainbow Grammar'. In particular, we'll be working on Newspaper reports, posters and biographies.
- In Maths, we will be focusing on place value, addition and subtraction.
- Our geography topic is "Let's Explore the World". This essential skills and knowledge project teaches children about atlases, maps and cardinal compass points. They learn about the characteristics of the four countries of the United Kingdom and find out why there are hot, temperate and cold places around the world. They also compare England to Somalia. Children carry out fieldwork, collecting primary data in their locality to answer geographical questions.
- Our Science learning this term looks at human survival. This project teaches children about the basic needs of humans for survival, including the importance of exercise, nutrition and good hygiene. They learn how human offspring grow and change over time into adulthood.
- In Art, we will be doing a topic titled "Still Life". This project teaches children about the work of significant still life artists and still life techniques. They explore a wide variety of still lifes and learn about the use of colour and composition. They create still life arrangements and artwork.
- Our computing focuses on what we mean by IT and how it is used in the world around us.
We'll continue to use these web pages to provide information and other useful resources for children and grown-ups alike. As we're always looking to add to these, make sure you keep coming back to see what's new.