Welcome to Year 1
Welcome to our Year 1 Web Pages. We're excited to be back in school and have lots of fun learning ahead of us. Here is what we will be learning about this term:
- Our main topic is 'Amazing Me'. We will be finding out about ourselves, our families, our school, our class, our friends and our community.
- In science we are investigating all of our senses and will be engaging in sensory walks, sensory play and experiments. We will be identifying and naming parts of the body.
- For maths, we will be counting accurately forwards and backwards, working out what is one more and one less than a given number. We will be focusing on addition and subtraction using the part-part-whole model.
- Our next topic will be 'Let's Imagine'. We will be learning through stories, about light, celebrations, our seasons and animals.
Please watch out for regular updates on Twitter where you can see our amazing children in Year 1 working, playing and learning together.
Things you can help with at home:
- Practising reading and enjoying talking about books and other kinds of text.
- Telling and sharing stories.
- Letter and number formation - It is crucial that the children are starting their letters in the right place. Please see document above on letter formation.
- Practising phoneme cards.
- Cutting skills and any fine motor-skills.
New Reading Books ...
Oxford Reading Owl has some e books that you can access for your children to read new material at their current reading level.
You do have to sign up but is free and you will be able to access new e books. Of course this is not the same as holding a real book but it is another way to engage your child in reading. We hope this link is of use to you. Remember you are looking for "ebooks."
Also there's a whole range of stories for children to listen to for free on: